Thursday, August 30, 2007

SCD gingerbread recipe

SCD Gingerbread

I have been studying a low carb cookbook and have come up with a few nifty ideas that might give us more options for SCD cooking. If you add a tsp of blackstrap molasses to a recipe it will impart a brown sugar/molasses flavor without adding significant carbs. 1 tsp distributed across a 4-5 cup batter isn’t much to worry about. So here is how I adapted one of the low carb recipes for gingerbread.

1 c. almond meal
½ c. coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2-1/2 tsp ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
1/3 c. honey
1 tsp blackstrap molasses
1/3 c. 24-hour yogurt
¼ c. melted butter
1 egg
½ c. shredded zucchini

Mix the dry ingredients together by pulsing in a food processor until uniform. Add the wet ingredients all at once, except for the zukes. Whizz batter until everything is blended smoothly. Then add the zukes to the mixture and briefly pulse until just barely blended.

Line a 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper (I use parchment with all my SCD baked recipes these days). Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

This turned out to be fabulous!!! Just like the real thing! I imagine it could be baked in muffin cups, too.